Johannisberg de Chamoson
Originating in the Rhine valley, the Sylvaner is called Johannisberg in Valais.The most widely grown second harvest white in the canton , this varietal takes its name from the Johannisberg castle, a germanic vineyard reputed to have produced the first liquorice wines. This selection stems from vines which are on average over 45 years old, and grown on the rocky terraces of the Chamoson slopes, under the Haut de Cry massif.
Slow and gentle pressure, an initial fermentation at low temperature and several month’s ageing in vats during which maloactic acid fermentation (50% with and 50% without fermentation) takes place combine to guarantee maximum fattiness and roundness all while conserving the finesse and freshness of the aromas.
Yellow colour with golden tints
The floral and fruity bouquet hints at fresh hazelnuts, almonds and white fruits.
Characterised by mineral aromas and grilled almonds, with a slight hint of fresh hazelnuts, a top note of pineapple and fine acidity to finish. A slight bitterness is typical of the Chamoson region.
Perfect as an aperitif, Johannisberg is the perfect partner for asparagus, fish, and soft cheeses.
- 2013 Gold: Grand Prix du Vin Suisse 2014
- 2013 Gold: Sélection des Vins du Valais 2014
- 2013 Gold: Vinalies Paris 2015
- 2014 Silver: Expovina 2015
- 2014 Silver: Vinalies Paris 2016
- 2015 Silver: Grand Prix du Vin Suisse 2016
- 2015 Silver: Sélection des Vins du Valais 2016
- 2015 Bronze: Decanter World Wine Awards 2017
- 2018 Gold: Grand Prix du Vin Suisse 2019